Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Tony's Wines
 Little Mags' Kitchen : Tony's Wines
Subject Topic: Cab: 1997 V. Sattui Preston Vineyard Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Tony
Poopie
Poopie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 4/11/06 at 11:03PM | IP Logged Quote Tony

This was an amazing cab when I first tasted it back in 1999.  Compared to the other reds that I was tasting that day, I recall this cab being amazingly flavorful and smooth, which spurred me to buy two bottles, at $30 per.  On a student's budget, that was a lot.  Later on, I'd discover that bottles of this 1997 Preston Vineyard Cab were selling for $100.

So I've been saving these bottles for a special occasion.  And the perfect occasion came up, my parent's 35th Anniversary, when we treated them to dinner at Tam O'Shanter, a steak place owned by the same people that run Lawry's.  The prime rib was a perfect compliment to this cab.

The cab was a clear, bright, ruby red color.  Not too many flavors were too evident to the nose, just a slight hint of alcohol.

It was amazingly smooth.  Tannins were very soft, almost nonexistant as it left a very clean finish on the palate.  I have to say I was expecting more of a bouquet of flavors, but the cab was simply very smooth.

One thing I did note was that it was VERY strong.  I had about two full glasses, and it made me exceptionally tired.  I usually can take a full bottle before I start feeling it.

I still have one bottle of this left, along with two 2000s.  They're also waiting for the right occasion, whatever that may be.

---
"This fool is too cunning to be understood."
Back to Top View Tony's Profile Search for other posts by Tony

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version